« Home | Where I Belong » | Fortune's Favourite »

A Fanciful Fantasy

I’m going to be self-indulgent today and write up my fantasy track list for that chimerical silvery disc known as Clay Aiken’s sophomore album. Yes, he’s already covered many of these in concert, and no, I don’t care. I’d love for the public to see the facets of Clay Aiken hitherto only exposed in concert arenas. My fantasy Clay Aiken album is a fusion of alternative-flavoured pop with dollops of jazz and folk and green-eyed soul. Oh, and a dab of Broadway. (If you’d like to find out what that prattle means to me, read on.)

Here you have it –my ridiculous, impossible, cold day in hell Clay Aiken album fantasy. I didn’t put the tracks in order – sorry Clay, you’ll have to do a leetle work yourself.

Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen

This is a tragic, jaded song. Vampire fanfiction aside, I don’t believe Clay is either of these things. Still, Clay is a song stylist. He has a rare ability to own every song he sings, infusing it with his own expression and inflections. He pulls the feelings from his core and reveals them through such songs.

When Doves Cry by Prince

If you’ve seen and heard this in concert, you know how Clay could make this relevant for ought-six. With clean instrumentation and a few growls, I could hear it burning the airwaves again.

I Can’t Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt



He sang this during the Jukebox Tour, accompanied only by a piano. He reined in his voice, and the result was powerful. His stark, lonely vocals left the audience speechless. Although it may not be a radio friendly track, it would be a true treasure on the album.

Cannonball by Damien Rice



I am a Damien Rice fan because he is a lyrical genius. If he wouldn’t write a song for Clay, then I’d love Clay to cover one of his songs. Cannonball is as clever, whimsical, and lovable as the Aiken himself. Though this song is very recent, it did not receive much radio play and wouldn’t be recognized by the average listener.

Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers

It may have been recorded ad nauseum, but it hasn’t yet been properly recorded by Clay. I say ‘properly’ because I don’t consider the demo album version to do Clay or the song justice. Clay captured me the first time he sang this on American Idol. I want him to record the arrangement he sang on the Jukebox Tour – clean, striking, and effortless.

Sweet Baby James by James Taylor (acoustic)

I’ll admit that part of my love for this song stems from the funny faces and nose scrunches Clay makes while singing ‘Won’t you let me go down in my dreams?’. In all seriousness, I’d love to Clay to sing such a gentle, understated song that still emphasizes his voice.

Lilac Wine by Jeff Buckley



A reflective, poetic song about being drunk on love. I would die to hear him sing ‘where’s my love?’

Fever Dream by Iron & Wine



This is a mellow, wistful tune about holding back emotion. The lyrics are hauntingly intimate and real. Clay has the subtlety to breathe life into such quiet, sweet moments.

Tears Run Dry

I heard the world premiere of this song at Clay’s Toronto stop of the Jukebox Tour. It’s well written than Just You and 1000 Days. It’s a bit emo in its subject matter and imagery, but if the instrumentation was toned down, this song could touch that secret chord.

Original #1

A token power ballad. It would have a touch of melisma and epic lyrics that would befit the soundtrack to a big Hollywood movie production.

Original #2

A modern pop anthem with an alternative twist, ironic, meaningful lyrics, and a bit of wordplay. Think Green Day meets The Killers meets Coldplay.

Original #3

A song he wrote about children he has met during his UNICEF travels, bringing media attention to their plight. It would have a gentle, acappella feel, showcase the nuances of his voice, and appear on a charity single for Make Poverty History or another nonprofit organization.

All I Ask Of You

Since I saw Phantom of The Opera on Broadway, I’ve wanted Clay to sing a song from the soundtrack. It didn’t happen for the film (thank you VERY much, Gerry Butler). But Clay could record a cover of AIAOY as a bonus track on his album. In my daydream, it would be a duet with Katharine McPhee. She has a beautiful recording voice and seems to duet well, as evidenced by her performances with Meatloaf and Andrea Bocelli. I believe that she and Clay could give this song a sweet, youthful bloom with their unearthly voices.

I know I will be lucky to get even one of my fantasy tracks on the actual album. But until we get oh-fficial news – I think Clay would like us to talk amongst ourselves.

Technorati tags: , Katharine McPhee, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm pixieglitter
  • From Canada
My profile

Links