« Home | Today's Treasure #8 » | Shameless Self Promotion » | Today's Treasure #7 » | Today's Treasure #6 » | Today's Treasure #5 » | Today's Treasure #4 » | Bizarro World, or, A Thousand Different Theories » | Today's Treasure #3 » | Today's Treasure #2 » | Today's Treasure #1 »

Today's Treasure #9

I have a history with the song When Doves Cry. When my mom was pregnant with me, my dad would take her out dancing on Saturday nights. At the time, WDC was dancing its way up the charts like nobody's business. So my mom thinks it's absolute heresy that I prefer Clay's version to Prince's. I call it a con.nec.tion. :)

For a myriad of reasons, this performance delights me to no end. I'll just give you seven, since this seems to be one of Clay's favourite numbers.

1. The snark. Clay's stripping of the choir boy robes he donned at the start of the song is a direct raspberry to those who mock his spirituality and (former) hayseed image.
2. The sensuality. He stalks Angela over the stage like a hunter, with a touch of danger glinting in his eyes. He is a magnet, and he is not as innocent as he seems. When the occassion calls for it, I don't think he'd lack passion.
3. The moooooves. Clay has always said he can't dance. I humbly beg to differ.
4. The grinding. Whether Clay's being ironic or not, this.is.hot.
5. The glory notes. When he tilts his head back and starts wailing, I always hold my breath and can't exhale until he finishes the note. Clack originates from the word 'crack' for a reason.
6. The dorky faces Clay makes at his acolytes A and Q when he's in a silly mood. I love the goofy versions of WDC as much as the sultry ones.
7a. The pose that Clay, Angela, Quiana and Jacob make at the end. Inexplicably, I love it.
7b. The way that Angela and Quiana caress Clay when he sings 'Touch if you will my stomach'. Enough said.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you tsunamimommy's FABULOUS montage of Clay's WDC from the Jukebox Tour.



Technorati tags: , , , , , , .

ETA: Just testing something.

WDC was such an awakening to what Clay can do. It is a real performance song...vocally stunning and visually pleasing. :)

Post a Comment